Sunday, July 06, 2008

Olympia home of the Olympics

Well, this is where it all started, almost 3000 years ago. Here on these grounds, the Olympic Games, dedicated to Zeus, began. Of all the tours we took, this one was our least favorite. I have seen ruins before, and I know what to expect when going to see ruins as well, but it may have been just the guide, this was boring. AND I LOVE HISTORY! And I do mean BORING! It was a hot day, really hot, and what I found really sad was the poor condition of the ruins. Little concern for cleaning, replacing or showing off the style of construction that you see in Rome, for example, in the Roman Forum. All in all, we saw the remains of the temple of Zeus (one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world) and the training rooms and dorms of the athletes. We were given the opportunity (about four minutes worth) to run out and see the actual field where the games took place, but we really wanted to find shade and water, so we missed that. Here are the remains of the Temple of Zeus:
Photobucket

A new column was cut and placed on one corner of the old temple to show the height and size, and that is the ONLY reconstruction I saw.
Photobucket

If I am correct, and some one tell me if I am wrong, this is the exact location where they light the fire for the Olympic torch.
Photobucket

Many people do not know that the lighting of the Olympic Torch is not an original Greek or even original modern games, tradition. It was started in the Berlin Games of 1938 by Adolf Hitler. The Nazis had a fascination with fire (I am sure there is a psychological thing here about fire and behaviors) and torches and night time marches. Since then, the lighting of the torch and the flame has become a major symbol of the Winter and Summer Olympics.

Then it was a quick trip back to the ship, for we were off to Izmir and the House of the Virgin Mary and Ephesus. So until the next post, bon voyage!
Photobucket

No comments: