Thursday, July 19, 2007

Rome

I love Rome. What more can I say. I didn't take a lot of pictures in Rome, I mean really, how many pictures of the Colosseum does one need to show they have been there? I do have some from the Vatican Museum and a few from inside of St. Peters and some of the shops and streets. The usual shots are missing. I was on this trip for 10 days and only shot 9 rolls of film. That is about 24 pictures a day. Actually a lot are of others, and I really don't like posting others (beside the group pictures) faces here. I am proud of some of these, especially the one of the remains of Pope John XXIII. If you go back to last year's trip, you will see that I used a picture by Debbie, because mine did not turn out well. This year I made a concerted effort to clear the area of tourist and take my time and I got a great shot! So, let's start with that picture!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Italy without Garibaldi, is like The United States without Martin Van Buren! (You know the 8th president of the United States, the FIRST president actually BORN in the United States AFTER the ratification of the Constitution in 1787.....you know...ANYWAY) Garibaldi is the man who unified Italy (as well as Italy can ever be unified) in the last half of the 19th century. This Statue, shown in silhouette as the sun was setting, is of him. It looks like he is sad or depressed, but actually it isn't like that at all. There is a saying on the side of the base that says "Roma o Morta" Rome or Death (sort of like Oregon or Bust in the age of expansion). When I first saw the statue years ago, one of the guys next to me said it should say "Roma e' Morta" Rome IS dead! He was joking of course, well not really, he was from Southern Italy! I told you Garibaldi unified Italy, as best he could!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Trevi by night....well, it isn't that easy without a full tripod and better angles and a LOT LESS PEOPLE. But here is my attempt!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Pantheon! It was amazing. When we showed up, there was a male choir singing in the church. Yes, the Pantheon is now a Church under the direct control of the Vatican. This allows for the building to be open all the time and also lets everyone in for FREE! This is of course the outside of the building.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Onto the Vatican now and St. Peter's! Here is just the face of one of the cherubs from the Holy Water Fountain by Bernini. It is huge!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Inside the Vatican Museum is a courtyard. At one end is the large bronze pine cone that dates back to the time of the ancient Romans.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Also, if you are observant like me, there are papal seals on the flower pots. Yes, I am sure there is one with Benedict's seal, but this is the one I found of John Paul II. I just love terracotta as it ages!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now a walk down one of my favorite side streets in Rome, Borgo Pia. It has some nice places to eat, some nice little bars for ice cream or coffee and lots of souvenir stores. Most of them are a LOT less expensive than shopping from the street vendors and some are really inexpensive. Here is a street view and the the outside of a typical souvenir store. I and do mean typical, they all look alike with what they are selling. Some do have unique things, but most sell the same "stuff" as the guy next door.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Without doubt, this was one of the hottest Junes I have experienced in Italy. The humidity wasn't bad, but the heat was awful. In every picture I have of me I look like I have been baked or roasted. This is no exception. It was taken while I waited for everyone to meet me in St. Peter's Square. I was making "points" as Debbie calls it by taking pictures of couples who had no one there to take their picture. I would see people taking pictures of each other, then I would offer to take their picture together. I made a lot of points in those 50 minutes I was there! I had one couple offer to take my picture and I took them up on the offer...below is the result of one white boy under the hot Roman sun! (With the ever present camera bag!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

henry bales said...

hehe found ur web pg =] nice pg!!!

from student in period 1!!

mshs was here!!!